Old 27-02-2016, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dan S. MacAbre Dan S. MacAbre is offline

Default When can you go out and cut the grass?

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 10:11:05 +0000, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:
On 26/02/16 18:50, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
I'd go and do it tomorrow, if it was a sensible thing to do. Apart from
the fact that my neighbours would think I'd gone mad. But when's the
earliest you can do it without harming the grass. I don't want the
first cut to be left until i's very too long, as I use a hand push
mower, and if it's too long, I end up with quite a few stalks sticking
up that just refuse to be cut.

Did mine on Thursday afternoon. A bit higher cut than usual - 50mm. I've
been waiting for weeks for it to be dry enough to cut.

I won't even contemplate how much moss there is underneath all the grass...

I've a big tub of ferrous sulphate, so I can stay pretty much moss-free.
It does mean that the sparse patches are more noticeable, though.

The chap who does my garden treated the lawn to kill the moss last
year. Now there is a bald patch. I preferred the moss!

Steve

Over the last few years, since I've tried to keep the moss away
completely, I've sort of noticed that over winter, there is certainly
more bare soil. I find that the patches soon grow over, though. Less of
a pain than moss, IMHO.