Old 27-02-2016, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Which composter?

On 26/02/2016 22:52, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 14:24:54 -0800 (PST), earthstick
wrote:

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have done a search on the subject but it appears it's not the kind of thing people ask about. I guess gardening is not an equipment hobby.

I want a composter and have a space about 120 cm wide by at least 4 meters between to outbuildings and it has a concrete floor. I already have a lot of matter to put in it so I think at least 900 litres. But there are quite a few to choose from and some are pretty expensive.

I have seen a Thermo-King plastic one which seems to be all about keeping the heap warm.
http://www.evengreener.com//Shop/Com...mpost_Bin.html

Then there are wooden box ones with lids.
http://www.evengreener.com/Shop/Larg...ost_Bin. html

Next there are slated wooden composters
http://www.gardensandhomesdirect.co....ampaign=2279#b

What works best and is it worth paying extra for one?

Thanks

Ten standard sized pallets plus some posts, arranged to give you three
bays, gives you three good sized compost heaps: one for filling, one
for maturing and one for emptying/using*. End result looks a bit like
your No.3 but three of them in a row. Much cheaper than the £126+p&p
that you'll pay for three of those, and just as good. You'd need to
knock a few holes through the concrete for the posts though, unless
you hold the pallets together some other way, with galvanised wire
perhaps.

*Or if you only want one bin (which will very quickly be filled), four
pallets.

Just remember to treat the pallets with a good wood preserver.