Old 29-02-2016, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default Which composter?

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

Ten standard sized pallets plus some posts, arranged to give you three
bays, gives you three good sized compost heaps: one for filling, one
for maturing and one for emptying/using*. End result looks a bit like
your No.3 but three of them in a row. Much cheaper than the £126+p&p
that you'll pay for three of those, and just as good. You'd need to
knock a few holes through the concrete for the posts though, unless
you hold the pallets together some other way, with galvanised wire
perhaps.

I agree with Chris's advice, except that imho you don't need to knock
holes through the concrete: four pallets screwed together at the corners
will keep each other up, and square. Old carpet on top.

At first I thought the OP (earthstick) might be one of those people who
likes everything pristine and polished, and hence is prepared, and able,
to buy posh manufactured bins like those he/she linked to. But perhaps
not -- that would be £300 pounds for the bins required - for a compost
heap!

You can get 4 foot (or metre) square pallets for a quid at various
places, or sometimes free (I get mine at a local garden centre). If you
spray them roughly with fence preservative they look very acceptable.
Carpet is a stout and flexible cover. The sides provide aeration.

Earthstick also has two *glorious luxuries* in situ: loads of space, and
a concrete base (which will keep the area cleaner, easier).

In fact I use five pallets: I erect the 4-sided bin on top of another
pallet so that there is air underneath: I'm not sure if this is useful
(or even desirable?) -- anyway that's what I do.

Furthermore, I make the front side detachable so that at year-end (or
in fact Spring for me this year), I can fork out each bin infinitely
more easily. However i won't go into how I make the front detachable as
this post has already dribbled on too long. (Info if requested.)

I could go on and on .. I'm an indifferent gardener, but compost is my
thing -- it's about my level I think.

John