Old 03-03-2016, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Phormium- leaves too long

On 3/2/2016 8:11 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I have a healthy Phormium Jubilee on the front porch. Leaves are getting so long, they drag on the ground. I elevated pot just a few inches, but leaves keep dragging.

1. What is one supposed to do about "long" leaves in pot?

2. When a Phormium is in the ground, rather than pot, how is this handled?

I've tried to do my homework before posting, but didn't find answer to "long leaf" question.
Here are some of the links I visited:

http://www.smgrowers.com/products/pl...?plant_id=3448

http://www.smgrowers.com/info/flax.asp

http://www.westernhort.org/Hotplants_2011.html

NOTES:
a. There is upright, partially upright, and arching. Mine is decidedly arching.

b. "Jubilee" is referred to as a"sport" of "Jester".

c. Climate is mild "Mediterranean" SoCalif, 1 mile from beach.
Presently in drought.

TIA for any wisdom.

HB

Sunset's "Western Garden Book" -- a necessity for anyone gardening west
of the Rocky Mountains -- says to cut off older leaves that are looking
tired. They should be cut as close to the base as possible.

--
David E. Ross

While many tributes to the late Supreme Court Associate Justice
Antonin Scalia now fill the news media, his legacy was not
necessarily positive. See my "What Price Order, Mr. Justice Scalia?"
at http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_scalia_wrong.html.