Old 05-03-2016, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Resuscitating a neglected indoor cactus - propagate cuttings?

wrote in message ...

I have a very neglected indoor cactus, the cylindrical type I suppose
you'd call it. The 'root end' looks very dead and brown but it
still has three fairly healthy looking green ends, one the main plant
and two branches.

It seems that cacti are fairly easy to propagate as cuttings, would
this be likely to work with this one? I gather one has to cut the bit
you want to propagate off, leave it to form a callous over the cut and
then plant the calloused end.

Any/all advice welcome.

The old cactus I was given rotted off at the base a couple of decades ago. I
washed and scrubbed out all the rot, dried it carefully, and left it to
callous over for a couple of weeks then potted it into dry sandy compost.
Didn't water for a month or so then gradually introduced moisture and when
it had obviously rooted started the usual watering system. It has flowered
every year for some years now.

ps. I don't water mine in the winter at all, only start when the weather
starts to warm up a bit and it immediately comes into flower.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.