Old 06-03-2016, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Gabion Wall for garden - worth doing?

On 3/5/2016 10:22 AM, garjobo wrote:
Hello,

I am wanting a barrier ( approx 7ft high x 3feet in width x 7ft length)
- ideally for soundproofing my garden near my house. ( annoying
neighbours! )

Money as always an object, the best solution i can see ( aside from
move! ) is a Gabion Wall, now they look attractive and seem to of come
back in fashion as well.

My question is, are they stable enough - being 3ft across - approx x 7ft
high - aware i require good quality wire baskets, and over time will
likely give...but just wanting to know from anyone with more knowledge
than me in the trade..

.simple enough idea? I buy several 'cages' lay them down on cement
floor, tied together, through in some 'cheap quarry rocks' and bobs'
your uncle? Job done?

Or..is there a bit more too it than that? Breezeblock wall better way to
go?

Appreciate your time and any replies.

Doesn't seem it would fit into a residential area very well and a length of
seven feet regardless of height isn't going to do much to reduce sound
anyway. Then there is the local council. Do you think that they would give
planning permission for such a structure? If you do it and anybody
complains do you have the money to remove it (or to financially induce the
council's more pliant and avaricious members to reconsider their ruling)?