Old 07-03-2016, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Gabion Wall for garden - worth doing?

Brooklyn1 wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
wrote:

John, its my back garden - up to 6.5ft i can do anything i like.
Although it would be nearer 7ft but then hidden by the current 7ft
fence i have up anyway ( been there years - no-one would see it
other than me )

Logistically, how high can you go to reduce noise - seriously! in a
backgarden!!

As for planning , construction etc..that was my intial question! -
what planning is needed?...

I buy the metal baskets ( £20 a time ), lay them on ground, throw
in some quarry bricks, and then repeat with another basket/cage.
Simples - no?

Why is nothing simple.

I know the internet is full of negativity - you will always gather
9 bad reports for 1 decent one - nature of the beast! - just would
like the pros and cons for what I'm considering. End of the day - I
aint making the noise!, but I will be the muppet who forks out a
few hundred quid because of selfish neighbours. Im not the bad guy
here.

Baskets of rocks will do absolutely nothing to deaden sound, if
anything rocks will amplify sound. Something soft/porous, like wood
chips/compost will deaden sound, to what degree, depends on the
nature of the sound, but probably not by much. You still haven't
described/defined the noise; machinery, loud talking, barking dogs,
amplified music, what... you must be embarrassed to say... probably
sexual emanations! LOL-LOL

He's said numerous times the neighbors talk too loud ... how could
you have missed that ?

Show me. He may have at gardenbanter but not here.

This is in one of his responses to you :

"Thanks for replying.

All a matter of taste in what it looks like, but as the last reply
mentioned, yes it is more a case of supressing sound.

From the little ive read on suject, was under impression a gabion wall
is better than brick and certainly a thin (tall) fence re sound. It may
just echo it back into the neighours garden perhaps.

Any other ( cheap ) solution more than welcome. Really is a case of
'talking loudly' noise polution ( we have put up with worse in the past
from other neighbours ).."

--
Snag