Old 07-03-2016, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Gabion Wall for garden - worth doing?

garjobo writes:

I did state amid my ramblings that the noise was simply that neighbours
talked loudly. Which sounds like a small complaint ( believe me in
another house we had 4 dogs to contend with, abusive etc etc however
it's mightly annoying to hear OTT speaking about nothing more intresting
than 'put the washing on dear' and whistling..oh dont get me started the
inane whistling. Considering putting a note through there door.

Im disappointed to read comments that Gabion walls wont do anything.
However, as some of these comments were put by..well..Im too polite to
say anything negative about someone...

lets hope they are wrong.

My understanding is, based on google research...

Corrigated Iron fence - reduction 17db ( a quiet library is around
40bg btw )
Timber ( a favourite on here!!! ) only 25db reduction

Brick wall - 40db

Breezeblock 50db

and finally a Gabion wall - around 60db.

Make sense.
Brooklyn has a pretty good record of giving bad advice.

Stone itself is an excellent conductor of sound.
But the transition of sound from air to rock, to air to rock
is going to pretty much kill any transmission of sound.

I don't have the numbers on trees or bushes, but I think
all the transitions the sound has to make would be pretty effective
and look a whole lot better.

So..my question to anyone with any proper knowledge...would if be of any
benefit? a little..? 7ft high remember..safety aspect too..dont want it
falling down...any tricks of the trade? Please share.

Never built that kind of wall, but I see them as retaining walls on
hillsides and they sure look permanent to me.

Where I am we have about an acre per house.
The only things I can hear are dogs and screaming children.
The kids I somewhat enjoy. Nice to hear the exuberance of children.

Still can't see how something 7ft wide is going to help.
Does your neighbor stand in one spot to talk?

(Oh yeah, you've been clear from the start that this was
neighbors talking that bothers you.)

--
Dan Espen