Old 09-03-2016, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default yay California!

In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:
I saw a yellow belly sapsucker yesterday , checking a maple tree over for
bugs . Thought it was a pileated at first until I realized how small it was
. First one I've ever seen .

Might have been checking for bugs. Might just be living up (or down) to
its name (I have a bunch of trees with patterns of holes those guys
drill.)

I'm a bit concerned that we might be in for a repeat of a few years
back, when it hit 80°F in early March, and then froze all the
buds/flowers off the fruit trees in late April. Pretty much doodly-squat
for fruit that year.