Old 09-03-2016, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default yay California!

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:
I saw a yellow belly sapsucker yesterday , checking a maple tree
over for bugs . Thought it was a pileated at first until I realized
how small it was . First one I've ever seen .

Might have been checking for bugs. Might just be living up (or down)
to its name (I have a bunch of trees with patterns of holes those guys
drill.)

I'm a bit concerned that we might be in for a repeat of a few years
back, when it hit 80°F in early March, and then froze all the
buds/flowers off the fruit trees in late April. Pretty much
doodly-squat for fruit that year.

I hope not ! My peach tree has blossoms starting to swell and open , and
last-frost date is weeks away .

--
Snag