Old 17-03-2016, 04:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Black crowders again

George Shirley wrote:
Went out to peruse the gardens again this morning and it appears I
have 98% of the black crowder seeds have come up. That's the best
I've ever had on store bought seed. These are from Victory Seeds so I
will probably order more seed from them as time goes on.

The cucumber seeds, so far, are about 50% above ground. All of the
plants from the nursery are doing fine. We have tiny tomatoes on some
"free" tomato plants, ie. the seeds grew from the compost pit and are
doing well. Sometimes we just take the compost bucket out to the
garden and pot hole it as a faster way to make real compost. Poking
around the area of the free tomatoes turned up several earthworms so
we're happy that we do, indeed have some earthworms on the property.
Possibly from some we ordered last spring and put into the raised
beds and in the fence rows. At any rate, some worms are better than
no worms.
Looks like there may be some rain today, we can only hope. Yesterday I
strung out one of those flat, green, three tube soaker hoses. It was
thirty feet long and was a gift from one of our neighbors who moved
last year, still in the package and much stronger than soaker hoses
made from recycled auto tires. I had forgotten about it until I ran
up on it in the garage. I had already bought another one twenty-five
feet long at a close out sale at a local store. We shall see how long
they last but they do appear to do a good job of soaking.

George

Y'all are a bit ahead of us . I've got lettuce , spinach , bok choy , and
snap peas in the ground . Peas were just planted a couple of days ago ,
everything else is coming up now . Strawberries are starting to come to life
too . I thought I'd lost part of the patch from grass strangulation , but
maybe not . I'm cautiously optomistic .
Pepper and tomato seedlings are doing well in the window . Got some herbs
planted but they haven't come up yet . We seem to be about 3 weeks ahead of
usual temps , but I don't trust it , gonna wait until at least the second
week of April before I set seedlings out .
--
Snag