Old 20-03-2016, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Black crowders again

Derald wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Derald wrote:

Have you selected a variety of ("cow", "field", or "Southern")
peas yet?

No , and after this year's seed swap I've got even more choices . I
have seed for red rippers , skunk , clay , whippoorwill , and purple
hull peas . We really liked the red rippers last year ... I'll
probably plant 2 kinds again this year , RR's and one other but I
haven't decided which .

I have grown whipporwill and a couple of varieties of purple hull
but not the others. I grow two varieties, also. Most reliant on
"zipper cream", a so-called "crowder" pea that is smaller, milder more
buttery-flavored than the darker peas. As an alternative, most
years, I also grow a black or pink eyed, more strongly flavored, pea.
This year it's two-or-three years old first-generation saved pink-eye
purplehull. I probably have enough for one season after 2016. I only
use firs-generation homegrown seeds because of increasing
susceptibility to a ubiquitous (in sunny FL, at least) soil-borne
bacterium.

I'm sitting here enjoying the aroma of the pizza sauce I just made
, it's been simmering on the stove for an hour or so . Started with
3 cups of San Marzano's from last year's crop that I froze . A can
of paste , chopped onion and garlic , spices , and a dash of red
cooking wine . If the smell is any indication I think I've found my
sauce recipe - been tweaking this one for some time now .

We basically use tomatoes as an ingredient in a limited number of
dishes for which these do nicely, without spraying or picking off a
single hornworm ;-):
http://www.cento.com/sanmarzano/sanmarzano.html. We use few, if
any, fresh tomatoes so, many years, they don't make the cut.

Well , I guess that's one way to get 'em ... BTW , the sauce was superb
IMO . The wife will be rendering final judgement today after the Cold Pizza
Test . She took the last 2 slices for lunch .
We use quite a lot of tomatoes , between sauces , soups , and best of all
fresh sliced . My 2 oldest granddaughters can strip a cherry tomato plant of
ripe fruit as fast as they can gobble them .
--
Snag