Old 21-03-2016, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Vegetarian human poo in the veg plot?

On 21/03/2016 17:53, David wrote:
On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 09:22:19 +0000, User wrote:

Is it OK to put vegetarian human poo in the veg plot?
Or in the compost heap?

Is it O.K. to shit in the drinking water?

If you are not O.K. with that then human waste should be carefully treated
to make sure no pathogens or parasites are able to stay in the food chain.

In Suffolk, AFAIK, properly treated human waste is spread on the fields.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/managing...rry-and-silage

is a useful reference.

Basically, you need to have your sewage tested to make sure it meets the
Sludge Regulations.

Further:

"You must not use sewage sludge and septic tank sludge:

@ when fruit - other than fruit trees - or vegetables are growing or are
to be harvested in the soil at the time of use
@ without considering plants’ nutrient needs
@ if it will damage soil, surface water or groundwater quality"

and

"Untreated or raw sewage sludge

You cannot apply untreated or raw sewage sludge to land that is used for
growing crops, whether they are food crops - including crops for livestock
- or non-food crops."

So I would say from that - no, it is not suitable to go on the veg plot or
in the compost heap.

People die from faecal contamination of food and water.
Even vegetarians.

Cheers

Dave R

When I was young and living outside Hastings we had a cesspit and every
spring we would dredge some of the contents out by bucket and pour it
into the trench we had dug out for the runner beans, then cover with
around 8 inches or so of soil and the beans went on top. Always had good
crops and no ill effects.
We also got unpasteurised Jersey milk form the farm next door.
But then we were not brought up soft.
David@a still rain free side of Swansea bay