Old 22-03-2016, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Uplawski Michael Uplawski is offline

Default Vegetarian human poo in the veg plot?

On 22 Mar 2016 10:47:12 GMT,
Emery Davis wrote:
On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 08:00:36 +0100, Michael Uplawski wrote:

About all associations who deal « agro-écologie » will have an “opinion”
and oftentimes experience to share.

Thanks Michael that was very interesting, I didn't know about these
techniques. Would think they'd be very interesting in dry areas. Not
usually our case!

The toilet *and* its content are very dry, I ensure you. As regards
hygiene, this is more interesting as adding tons of chemicals to the
already polluted drinking water... ;-

and plant hunting in Western China and Thibet; he mentions the
agricultural practice of the peasants is to spread their waste directly
in the highland fields, without composting.

This is often the case on rice-fields.
In India, projects to increase hygiene include “wandering” dry toilets
over holes in the ground, and bananas being planted on each previously
“used” spot. This is apparently a great success.

I do not know about bananas, but rice is an extremely strange and
awesome ... plant. Being. Thing. Does it grow because or despite all
human endeavour to make it so... ;-)

Michael

This earth is otherwise very
nutrient poor. Wilson doesn't comment on this beyond saying they've been
doing it for millenia.

Hope you're enjoying the early spring, they say finally the wind is
changing to the west in a couple of days. None too soon, it's very dry.

-E

--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG brainpoolP512r1/5C2A258D 2015-10-02 [expires: 2017-10-01]