Old 22-03-2016, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Vegetarian human poo in the veg plot?

In article u,
says...

I am sorry to have to get back to this once again.

Composting ?poo? or anything else (the expression is: ?anything else ?)
is not a matter of believes. Where it is a matter of opinion, you should
give as much background as possible about how you arrive at your
opinion.

If this leads to a cascade of ?I believe because it is my opinion
because the other guy's opinion was ...? than think again.

Those who live in France have the advantage that hands-on training is
possible with some associations and the « bureaux d'étude » who prepare
for you the project of domestic wetparks and other ways to clean your
waste-water, can talk about compost toilets.

About all associations who deal « agro-écologie » will have an ?opinion?
and oftentimes experience to share.

Regardless of "opinion", they are all subject to EU laws and
regulation regarding the use of raw sewage on commercial crops, even
grazing pasture; and the protection of waterways from fertiliser run-
off.

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/waste/sludge/

In Britain, commercial producers are subject to the EU regulations
PLUS UK legislation; and in rural areas, both farms and domestic homes
which produce a run-off from a raw non-mains sewage system, are also
subject to protection of wetlands and waterways.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/managing...nd-fertilisers

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...ient-recovery-
fertiliser-human-excrement-slough

I lived for years in my grandparents house which had zero domestic
plumbing; the lavatory was a bucket in an outhouse (no chemicals
involved). When full, the contents were buried two spades deep in a
grave-like trench in the veg garden, covered with some of the excavated
earth. Chicken-house cleanings, and kitchen waste, also went in the
trench. When the dumping reached the end of one trench a new one was
dug; the filled trench became a bed for the next pea and bean crops and
eventually, as crop rotations moved across the garden, root crops. IOW,
over decades the entire large vegetable garden was repeatedly, and only,
fertilised by the excretions of the family (and chickens). It produced
terrific crops. The well supplying drinking water was about 50 yards
away.

We use human urine, sheep and horse manure in our compost heaps.
However, since we're both handling that compost a year or so later (to
spread it on top of the veg garden, no digging in) I don't include human
manure. Cat and dog waste, definitely not; however small the risk of
toxocara it's just not worth taking IMO.

Janet.