Old 24-03-2016, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Putting it by

On 3/24/2016 9:05 AM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
Checked the worm house today, didn't see nary a worm. Will check again
tomorrow and then probably buy worms from someone other than the local
guy. Followed all the rules that came with the worm house and did due
diligence so wondering what happened in there, Maybe a worm war? Naw, I
think they're peaceniks. G

i dunno George, without being there and seeing the setup
as to what may be going on.

they are pretty tolerant of most things other than being
too hot or being too cold.

So far the worm house is running between 50 and 70 degrees. Book says ok
between 40 and 80 so that can't be it. The contents are moist but not
wet. Combination of browns and greens is about equal. Ground pumice
sprinkled occasionally, crushed egg shells on a regular basis.

might be hiding down in the middle or lower depths some
place.

I poked around every where but didn't see a wriggler, will look again,
we had a little cold snap early this morning plus three inches of rain
with lightning.

too wet is usually not a problem as they will survive up
until 100% saturation.

what do you have in there, what are they in, what conditions,
what have you been feeding them? etc. the more details the
better.

songbird

It's a store bought worm house 360, plastic, with four trays, only one
tray in operation at the moment. We freeze raw vegetable scraps in
plastic bags, then let them thaw for two days and then feed the worms.
They get tea bags, coffee grounds with filters, anything but citrus,
meat, etc. all the stuff worms don't need. They get shredded paper and
cardboard as needed according to the green/brown set up. It's currently
in the garage, which is normally at ambient temperature. Probably have
to bring it in the house once we get above 80F or they would cook.

Only reason we have the worm house is the property sits on five feet of
gumbo clay, although we did see a couple of earth worms in one of the
heavily amended flower beds the other day.

We will work it out eventually.

George