Old 24-03-2016, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Glyphosate spray

On 24/03/16 21:51, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

Looks like it's done a good job. You'd better get the rest done before
the inmates of the EU asylum ban glyphosate:
http://www.feednavigator.com/Regulat...glyphosate-ban

The UK is certain to follow the US, France, Holland et al
in banning glyphosate, whether in or out of the EU.
It's a question of scientific evidence, not a matter of opinion.

Scientific evidence? I know "junk science" when I see it, and I know
what effects pressure groups can have on "scientific" opinion. Maybe you
should read this:
https://risk-monger.blogactiv.eu/201...ate-monograph/

Once the Greens have removed glyphosate, do you think it will end there?
There won't be a chemical left on the market, and food production will
soon fall foul of every insect and fungal pest under the sun. If you
don't believe that, you need only look at the Irish Potato Famine,
caused by Phytophthora infestans. And if you want modern examples of
disease wiping out plants, you need only look at Dutch Elm Disease, Ash
Dieback, and the Emerald Ash Borer. Neither tree is of sufficient
economic interest for the chemical companies to develop a treatment;
within a few years the English elm went almost completely, and it looks
like the ash will follow. Follow the analogy to food, and the future is
bleak.

Maybe "Eating your Greens" might stave of hunger for a short time, but
there won't be enough of them to make a difference.

--

Jeff