Old 26-03-2016, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Glyphosate spray

On 26/03/16 14:23, David Hill wrote:

I remember when Paraquat and Diquat were brought out. In the early days
we would alternate between then but over time it became clear that
paraquat was the more versatile product and a great chemical if you
wanted to grow using the "Stale seed bed " technique, also in around 50
years of using it I never saw any signs of possible residual damage to
follow on crops, (Can't say the same for Glyphosate)

I thought that was pretty impossible as it's supposed to be inactivated
on contact with soil, but I guess that might depend on how long it takes
to become inactivated in specific circumstances.

The problem with Diquat is it's inability to control grass, so instead
of clearing the ground, you end up with a lawn.

I haven't tried it on grass, as glyphosate is so effective in dealing
with it.

The annoying thing is that in the US they have brought out a replacement
for Gramoxone, but not available in Europe.

As far as I can see Gramoxone is still available in the US. What is the
product you are referring to?

For your Vine weevil you might still be able to get Provado either from
Amazon or on E bay. Otherwise nematodes do seem to work well for small
areas.

The bad news is that Bayer have stopped making Provado (containing
thiacloprid - they still make something under that name containing a
pyrethrin). The only product containing a neonicotinoid now available
to the amateur is Scott's "BugClear" (acetamiprid). Good idea about
using Amazon - I see they have some. I've still got a few local garden
centres to try, though. I've not tried nematodes; I did try a predator
for red spider mite, but I was unimpressed with the results.

--

Jeff