Old 28-03-2016, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tulips ? What tulips ?

On 3/27/2016 7:49 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 3/27/2016 6:02 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
In the fall of 2014 I planted tulips every 6 inches around the
rose garden . Last spring we had almost every one come up and bloom
- they all came up , 3 or4 didn't bloom . I'm still waiting for them
to come up this year ... and it's way late . So today I dug up where
I know i planted two of them - and there's no bulb , nothing . No
tunnels like maybe the ground squirrel or moles or something got
them , just nothing there . I've never noticed any digging like
squirrels got them , no tunnel bumps like moles/voles/ ground
squirrels often leave but they're gone . Anybody have any theories
on where they went ?

Where are you? That is, what is your climate?

We're in north central Arkansas on the southern edge of the Ozark Plateau .
Here's a link to a wiki map , we're about 10 miles south of Mountain View .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozarks...zarkRelief.jpg

In your area, winter chill should be sufficient for tulips; so that is
NOT the problem.

I know that "Dutch" tulips in my area first have to be stored in the
refrigerator for about 6 weeks before planting and then must be treated
as annuals. That is, they are ripped out after blooming. Because of
that, I have no experience with tulips with one exception. I do have
lady tulips (Tulipa clausiana), which do not require winter chill. They
repeat every year and are blooming right now.

--
David E. Ross

While many tributes to the late Supreme Court Associate Justice
Antonin Scalia now fill the news media, his legacy was not
necessarily positive. See my "What Price Order, Mr. Justice Scalia?"
at http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_scalia_wrong.html.