Old 29-03-2016, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Tulips ? What tulips ?

Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 09:27:12 -0400, John McGaw
wrote:

On 3/27/2016 9:02 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
In the fall of 2014 I planted tulips every 6 inches around the
rose garden . Last spring we had almost every one come up and bloom
- they all came up , 3 or4 didn't bloom . I'm still waiting for
them to come up this year ... and it's way late . So today I dug up
where I know i planted two of them - and there's no bulb , nothing
. No tunnels like maybe the ground squirrel or moles or something
got them , just nothing there . I've never noticed any digging like
squirrels got them , no tunnel bumps like moles/voles/ ground
squirrels often leave but they're gone . Anybody have any
theories on where they went ?

Well, sometimes bulbs and tubers and corms simply fail to survive
and rot away. If the conditions are right there won't be much to see
after they do.

Most times it's some hungry critter that will help themself to your
bulbs,and by spring you'll find no signs of digging, it's not like
squirrels and rabbits arrive with an excavator. Even crows will steal
bulbs... naturally to crows it's not stealing, it's finders keepers...

The rose garden is right outside the living room window ... we seldom get
any snow ... and I often look out that window at my bee hives . I'm pretty
sure if any critter was getting at them from the surface I'd have seen signs
.. I suspect , as david Ross suggested , that these were a variety that
needed to be dug up after blooming . I bought them on ebay , and have zero
info about them . This fall I'll be getting some bulbs from my nursery gal .
Known quality , local support - she's got a horticulture degree - and always
willing to help and make suggestions , whether you bought it from her or
somewhere else .

--
Snag