Old 29-03-2016, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default treat tulips as annuals. Tulips ? What tulips ?

Boron Elgar wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 19:48:10 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

The rose garden is right outside the living room window ... we
seldom get any snow ... and I often look out that window at my bee
hives . I'm pretty sure if any critter was getting at them from the
surface I'd have seen signs . I suspect , as david Ross suggested ,
that these were a variety that needed to be dug up after blooming .
I bought them on ebay , and have zero info about them . This fall
I'll be getting some bulbs from my nursery gal . Known quality ,
local support - she's got a horticulture degree - and always willing
to help and make suggestions , whether you bought it from her or
somewhere else .

I treat tulips as annuals and pick up 75-100 at Costco or one of the
Big Box stores. I don't think I ever spend more than $20 or so. We put
them into a bed up front in the fall, then after bloom, I pull the
bulbs and put tomatoes there. I am notorious in the neighborhood.

Sometimes I give away the bulbs I have pulled or replant a few here
and there.

Tulips are odd and fun. I have lived in this house 23 years and each
spring I wind up with unknown tulips popping up in places I know I
never planted any.

I'm not so much interested in annual plantings . Those annuals I have
planted are mostly heirloom varieties that are expected to self-seed .
Spring around here can get pretty hectic , between the garden and the bees .

--
Snag