Old 28-03-2016, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Storm Katie damage?

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 08:58:45 +0100, BobHobden wrote:

Woke up to find out old Camellia tree ripped out of the ground. So sad
to see an old friend that dominated our small garden now covering
literally half of it, even sadder that it was in full flower. So lots of
work when the wind dies down before we can see what other damage has
been done.

What a shame, hard to lose an old friend like that.

We did have damage, maybe more but not as personally felt. A greengage
that I planted in 2002 lost half the crown and split down the middle. It
was a poorly fruiting tree although large, and the split shows it was a
bad graft that would have eventually failed. PITA though, wasn't
planning on dealing with anything like this this late in the spring.

The most expensive thing was our wooden gate came unhooked in the wind
and broke, looks minor but complicated to fix correctly. We'll see what
the insurance says tomorrow. It happened some years ago and was covered,
but the gate is pretty old now.

We also lost a medium-sized beech down on a border, it had been growing
in a stream and rotted at the base, would have come down sooner or
later. Will make good firewood, but again not something I had planned to
deal with now...

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy