Old 04-04-2016, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Tool for burying dripline in lawn

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 01:36:51 +0000 (UTC)
bob prohaska wrote:

snip
Does anybody know of a tool for this purpose? I'm aware of
vibratory plows, but that seems like overkill if the goal is
just a 2" burial depth. Some kind of tool that I can either
stand on to press a slot in damp soil or a spreader-like tool
similer to an inside out post hole digger might work, but I've
never seen such a device and don't know what it would be called.
A shovel with a blade about 1/2" thick would be a start.

There are some tools like that but they are hard to find for sale. Here
is one that is grossly over priced but should give you an idea of what
to look for:

http://www.amazon.com/Nupla-Trencher...dp/B004UM7JJY/

You might get this Fiskars model to do same:

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Steel-...dp/B000BX4SLS/

To make these work you push/step on them into the soil to the depth
you want. Now with the "shovel" still in front of you push & pull the
handle a few times. What you hope to achieve is a slot at the top of
your slit and a widened area that will fit what you are trying to bury
at the bottom. They work pretty well if you have the right soil
consistency...

If I remember correctly you are just itching to use a "new" welder. If
you could procure a piece of steel long enough to satisfy your depth
requirement and maybe 4 to 8 inches wide you could just weld a pipe
handle to it and save some bucks ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b