Old 04-04-2016, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Poorly Phal

On 04/04/2016 22:17, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 21:48:23 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

Hi,

Over the last couple of weeks one of my phal orchids has gone
off.

The latest leaf has become brown and soft in the middle and
seems to be spreading quickly. So far the other leaves seem OK,
but a close look shows that one may be about to go the same
way.

Apart from throwing it away, is there anything I can do?

Hopefully, this is the link to a pictu

www.flickr.com/photos/139948773@N07

Sorry, but I can not work out how to put in a "proper" link.

Link works OK if I copy and paste it into the address line of my
browser (otherwise my system tries to treat it as an e-mail address).
If that doesn't work for others, they can try double-clicking on this
http://tinyurl.com/jlwrcsz

Sorry, can't help with the problem, although I'm surprised it's
developing in the middle of the leaves rather than at one end or the
other. Could it be sun-burn or a cold draft? If mine, I'd cut them off
at the stem.

It looks a bit like orchid Brown Rot (scroll down link to see image).

http://www.orchidsmadeeasy.com/orchid-diseases/

This is just a quick response, but seems likely. There is some advice
given, but I would certainly remove the leaf if it were my plant and
keep the plant isolated.
I will check tomorrow if I can see anything else, but got to dash now.
--
Spider
On high ground in SE London