Old 08-04-2016, 01:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Hibiscus and ramblings

Is there a secret to getting hihiscus seed to germinate ? I planted some a
few weeks back and it hasn't . The seed came from the Ozark Seed Swap , and
I have no idea how it was kept or how old it was . The Sweet Cicely (aka
sweet root here) hasn't sprouted either , but it needs a cold period and I
don't think it got that so I'll chill some this coming winter and try again
next year . Or just look around in the woods and find some , it grows wild
here .
The other day while I was working on our new kitchen I noticed a nice
patch of May Apples nearby , reminded me that now it the time to spot those
and mark them . By the time they ripen the foliage is gone . I think my
self-rooted rose experiment has taken , at least it hasn't died though there
is no new growth yet . The tomato leaf I tried has rooted , but there is no
new growth there , probably because I picked the wrong part of the plant to
propagate . \
Everything else ('maters and peppers mostly) is ready to set out , just
waiting for the last frost date to plant them . I think today I'll get the
hot box cleaned up and repaired so I can get them all hardened off . Got
black plastic out on the garden to kill the weeds/grass before i plant , to
be followed with a heavy straw mulch to keep them from coming back .
It never fails to amuse me that people complain so much about the
explosive weed growth after they fertilize/amend the soil . I mean , weeds
like all that good stuff too !
--
Snag