Old 08-04-2016, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lavender

On 4/7/2016 4:28 PM, BeTu wrote:

We live in zone 5, and were wondering if our lavender needs to be cut
back at this time of year? We planted it last year, and it has grown
to about 12 inches. Much obliged.....Ben

Lavender does not require trimming unless it is becoming too leggy.
However, you can trim it to improve its appearance.

Wait until all likelihood of frost is past. When you cut a branch,
either remove the entire branch or else leave some live foliage below
the cut.

A bare branch will die without sending out new shoots. This is true of
the entire salvia family, including lavender, sage, mint, rosemary,
oregano, and a few other herbs, both woody and non-woody perennials.

--
David E. Ross

While many tributes to the late Supreme Court Associate Justice
Antonin Scalia now fill the news media, his legacy was not
necessarily positive. See my "What Price Order, Mr. Justice Scalia?"
at http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_scalia_wrong.html.