Old 09-04-2016, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
philgurr philgurr is offline

Default Suttons F1 Sungold

"Judith in England" wrote in message

I planted two packets : 21 seeds

Only 9 germinated - (However, Suttons were very good and have sent me two fresh
packets)

That is the worst germination ratio I have ever had - I wondered what sort of
success others get from F1 tomatoes - particularly Suttons or other Sungolds.

Also - of the 9 which germinated - two of the seedlings are decidedly different
from the other 7 which look the same as normal Sungold.

I suspect that these two are not the true F1 hybrids - but some sort of the
off-spring of the components of the hybrid.

Anyone else ever had this?

I'm also growing Suttons Sungold and have had 100% germination with them.
Having said that, I have had to complain to Suttons about seed quantity where
the packet seed content has only been in the region of 65% of that quoted.
Giving them their due, they have resuplied the deficient seeds but like you Janet,
here in Scotland the time lost can be critical.

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland