Old 10-04-2016, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BobHobden BobHobden is offline

Default Suttons F1 Sungold

"Judith in England" wrote

I planted two packets : 21 seeds

Only 9 germinated - (However, Suttons were very good and have sent me two
fresh
packets)

That is the worst germination ratio I have ever had - I wondered what sort
of
success others get from F1 tomatoes - particularly Suttons or other
Sungolds.

Also - of the 9 which germinated - two of the seedlings are decidedly
different
from the other 7 which look the same as normal Sungold.

I suspect that these two are not the true F1 hybrids - but some sort of the
off-spring of the components of the hybrid.

Anyone else ever had this?

(I spoke to Suttons about them and they have asked me to send photos - and
keep
them informed as the "tomato" plants grow.)

Not Toms but I have had similar this year with Chillies. Bought two packets
of seed and also planted some self saved seed, all at the same time. Within
a week the self saved seed was up, I estimate virtually 100%. Two weeks
later two chilli seedlings appeared in one of the bought seed pots and still
nothing from the other packet.
Noticed the same with carrots, self saved seed = superb quick germination,
bought seed very slow and patchy.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.