Old 14-04-2016, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default spring flowers

John McGaw wrote:
Mine were a lot earlier than that and the biggest profusion of bulbs is
well past. I had giant crocus coming out in January (thanks to a
micro-climate next to a south-facing wall). Periwinkle were blooming then
too. Regular crocus have come and gone as have the daffodils, Anemone
blanda, hyacinth. There are a few surviving tulips and grape hyacinth but
not many. On the plus side the huge patch of verbena is spectacular next to
the moss phlox and conceal the crocus foliage. Flag iris are up quite high
now and buds are showing on some of them. The daylilies are up too although
they are still not showing flower stalks. The collection of ferns out back
are doing well and many of them didn't even die back this year because of
the mild winter. Hostas are popping up all over the place. I have even set
out the huge pots with the Peruvian 'miracle lilies' which always
overwinter in the garage after repotting but nothing is showing there yet.
This is in central eastern Tennessee.

i lived near Johnson City for a few years.

Oh, I forgot the English bluebells! They are actually doing pretty well
this year and a few are showing up in places I don't remember planting any.

seeds or bulbs can get moved around (wind, rain, critters).
we find crocuses moved around all the time. just wish the
critters wouldn't eat so many of them. lost a few hundred
bulbs a few years ago when the chipmunks nearly cleaned them
out of a temporary garden where i put them when i was working
on redoing a patch. planned on moving them all back when i
was done... buggers ate 'em a few weeks before i went to do
that. didn't even notice them until it was too late.

last year we waged war on the chipmunks and caught nearly
50 of them by the end of the season.

And I noticed that some, but not all, of my trillium are coming up in the
woods out front. Might have been a partial die-off there. They were rescues
from a construction site so they will live or die as they see fit since
they don't seem to respond to human intervention.

they do like some leaves/mulch. they are protected in MI
from being moved/disturbed.

worms are actually not good for them because they eat the
leaves and thus they lose their protection.

i hope yours survive, they are nice woodland plants.

time to get going, nice day out there and i have a pathway
to take out. first day of gardening season!

songbird