Old 18-04-2016, 03:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default vinegar and disk soap weed killer is not working

In article , T wrote:
Also, this is one for you. My blue garlic comes out pink.
I was told that this is because my soil is very alkaline
(verified by the local nursery lady.) I little vinegar
may help. Your thoughts?

Vinegar's effect is pretty much like cutting the tops off - dubious for
really killing the whole plant, other than repeat applications
eventually exhausting the roots, or for tender young weed seedlings.
Vinegar's effect on the pH of the soil would be fleeting at best. So
it's pretty valid to say that if you have time to pour a cup of vinegar
on the plant, you have time to chop the plant off with a hoe to similar
effect.

http://hyg.ipm.illinois.edu/pastpest/200714f.html

Too late for you now, but letting weeds go to seed is NOT what you want
to do when "in hope of replacing it with a garden" - you want to mow the
heck out of it right up until you turn it under or bury it with good
soil.

Roots can push into some pretty inhospitable soils. Depending on your pH
range, you might select a suitable cover crop/green manure, till the
mess, and plant the cover crop, precisely for the beneficial effect of
the roots (as well as the eventual decomposing of the top mass, and the
shading out of weeds.) If your pH is less than 8.2 (you said it was
alkaline, so the lower range of 6.0-6.3 won't apply to you) alfalfa can
do wonders as part of a "green manure" program, and will shove roots
amazing distances downward.

Vast quantities of "brown manure" (up to and including sheet composting
6-12" deep) will also help (both to build soil and to buffer pH.)

You might find this a worthwhile read WRT alkaline soils:
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/Gardennotes/222.html
Depending on your free lime situation or lack thereof, sulfur may not or
may help with your pH (depending, of course, on exactly what it is and
if it needs help - start with a soil test.)