Old 20-04-2016, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Almost dead shrubs - what to do?

In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have 3 winter jasmine plants, which are almost dead
(due to neglect).
There are leaves near the base of the plants,
but the upper stems are devoid of leaves,
though the stems themselves look green when cut.

Should I cut the plants back to near the base?
Of should I just clean up the higher stems?

Whatever. It is nominally evergreen, but does tend to suffer with
frost. I suggest doing nothing until they have reestablished their
vigour, if you want them to recover as fast as possible. You can
then layer some of the shoots (to get some new plants, in case you
kill it), and cut back hard.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.