Old 20-04-2016, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ermin Trude Ermin Trude is offline

Default Mahonia

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 22:04:52 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 12:07:56 -0500, Ermin Trude
wrote:

In the garden we have a very leggy mahonia which I am bringing down to
size by heavy pruning.

One of the long stems is almost touching the ground (now that other
supports have been removed) and is in a position where I would be happy
to see another one grow.

Can I simply loosen the soil and peg the branch to it so that,
hopefully,
it will take root?

If not, what advice do you have please for propagating a mahonia?

Plenty about propagating mahonia here http://tinyurl.com/zljkjbh . Most
talk about cuttings taken in the summer rather than layering, which is
what you've described. But hey! what have you got to loose?
General instructions for layering here http://tinyurl.com/hogv59n

Thanks for the links. I'd already had a look at Google but thought I'd
prefer the actual experiences of someone who, may, have done it.