Old 21-04-2016, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default vinegar and disk soap weed killer is not working

On 4/20/2016 7:17 PM, T wrote:
On 04/19/2016 06:12 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 4/19/2016 7:59 PM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
Weeds are much hardier than grass. We are pestered with dandelions and
nut grass, takes patience and finger strength to get the !@#$% things
out of the ground. Wife enjoys it so I let her take the lead on weed
pulling. She lived further out in the country than I did before we
married. G

hahaha...

we have areas where we've never weeded. the rabbits seem
to selectively eat the weeds and leave most of the grass
alone. we just mow it once in a while with a mulching mower
so there is no raking involved.

We haven't seen any rabbits yet. Wouldn't mind seeing one in the
evening, break out the air rifle with the suppressor and the scope, runs
at about 1250 fps and should take out a rabbit for dinner.

A flock of white Muscovy ducks landed on the retention pond this
afternoon. They're not native so they're free game. Unfortunately there
were people walking around the pond. Dang!

there is a few areas that are crab grass invaded but those
are all patches that exist because Ma sprays herbicides and
it leaves bare soil that the crab grass will get going in
too easily. i try to keep them weeded if i can, but i can't
always keep up so it's just what it is. if i stay longer
term all the grass will be turned into gardens and the
mower will go away. i can trim some areas with the hedge
trimmer or a string trimmer (with a cutting blade) as needed.

alfalfa is a good crop for green manure (free N fertilizer).

songbird

We got a truck load of spoiled alfalfa many years ago for free and
another truck load of spoiled plain grass hay. Big storm east of us and
caught some truckers without cover. Friend of mine who was dealing with
them had them come over to our old place with 10 acres and the unloaded
on us. Stacked the bales around the big garden up to about eight feet
tall and the tomatoes and peppers made fruit all winter. Gradually it
all rotted away, pulled out the strings and scattered over a place we
wanted to turn into a bean field. Had lots of beans and other veggies
for several years.

Haven't seen any hay truck but once since then. Don't think we had any
droughts for a long time either.

No rain today, maybe tomorrow. Gardens and other plants got so much
water this past week we're having to fertilize again.

George

Texas rains can be something to behold!

I can grow carp. Well except weeds. Maybe I can coax my purslane
to choke out the weeds. It hasn't come up yet this year.

To be a decent gardener you have to understand your climate, the rain
patterns, what the soil is made of, and, even then, you can lose. Think
of it as something fun to do and you won't go completely bonkers.