Old 21-04-2016, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default vinegar and disk soap weed killer is not working

T wrote:
The dandelions I recognize as I have been trying to kill them
for years. Vinegar might not kill them, but it sure screws them
something terrible, so it may only be an emotional thing for me.

i like dandelions, Ma just mows them down when they
start flowering and then about every three to four days,
not many make it to seed stage.

Cow poop it is! I will see what I can find in a bag. Hope
getting it home doesn't stick up my car.

it is composted already, doesn't stink like much of
anything that i recall, it's very low nutrient organic
material, that is why i use wood chips instead, can
get them much cheaper/free.

can you grow alfalfa anywhere on your property?
that's a good source of N to add to a heap for growing
zukes. or get a few bags of alfalfa pellets to mix
in your piles. for the money i think they're better
than composted cow poo.

we have another landscaper guy we talked to this
morning who will drop off wood chips when he's out
this way and has tree work as it saves him from having
to haul them somewhere else to dump. for the cost
of gas it will be a bargain.

i see you mention being able to grow ponderosa pines.
the needles from those would be good humus eventually
too. they do not acidify nearly as much as some people
think. humus itself is mildly acidic. just be happy
to scrounge any free organics you can and then let
nature do the rest. you'll get some good topsoil
eventually.

have i shown you this picture before?

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_6775_Wormies.jpg

the light colored soil is our native clay mixed
with some sand (if we can get it) and then the
dark is what happens when i take some of that native
soil and recondition it for a year in the worm
buckets.

songbird