Old 22-04-2016, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Silver Birch

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 18:36:27 +0200
Hannah32 wrote:

Hi all

We recently moved into a new house, we've been informed the tree in the
front garden is a silver birch. It seems to be the only tree around
still bare, is this normal?
Please excuse my ignorance, I'm a zoologist so animals are much more my
area of expertise!

You seem to be in the UK, so not my area for a time-line either

The generic way to check this is to lightly scrape a few smaller
branches with a knife. You should find some greenish color and soft,
pliable, sappy wood. Try this on something you know is okay for a first
hand view of what looks good or alive.

Don't get too carried away with testing. You are damaging it some by
doing this...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b