Old 22-04-2016, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Silver Birch

On 4/22/2016 12:36 PM, Hannah32 wrote:
Hi all

We recently moved into a new house, we've been informed the tree in the
front garden is a silver birch. It seems to be the only tree around
still bare, is this normal?
Please excuse my ignorance, I'm a zoologist so animals are much more my
area of expertise!

Trees vary quite a bit. Some of mine have been out in full leaf for nearly
a month but some, a red maple for example, are just getting started in
earnest. At the very least you should have plump leaf buds if the tree is
going to do anything this Spring. In any case you have nothing to lose or
gain by not just waiting it out. Even if it is dead and in need of removal
waiting a month won't make any difference.