Old 23-04-2016, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default A Dumb Carrot question

On 04/22/2016 04:42 PM, Gary Woods wrote:
T wrote:

I know that if you take an organic potato (not sprayed with
an anti sprouting agent), cut it into pieces, and plant
it, you get potatoes.

Well, can you do the same with a organic carrot?

No: Carrots are biennials, and the root is storing energy to make flowers
the following year. Except that we eat them first.
FWIW, Queen Ann's Lace is wild carrot -pull one up and crack the root and
smell. It will cross freely with domesticated carrots, so takes elaborate
birth control measures to prevent this if you're growing seed.

Rats!