Old 24-04-2016, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BobHobden BobHobden is offline

Default Pond Pump Won't Start

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote

Ian ian@none wrote:

I've got an Oase 1700 pump in the pond.
When I turn it on, the impeller won't start, it just vibrates a little.
If I take off the inlet cap and nudge the impeller, it starts.
I then put the inlet cap back on, and it'll run indefinitely.

It's all clean, nothing is clogged, I've had the impeller out and
cleaned it, I've cleaned out the space inside the coils where the
impeller magnet are with cotton buds, it's all clean.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

It's probably a worn impeller shaft so the whole impeller is slightly
off centre.

I agree, it is usually a worn impeller shaft allowing it to rub on the side,
once running and centred it will keep running. I believe they are
replaceable as a spare part.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.