Old 25-04-2016, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme[_5_] Stephen Wolstenholme[_5_] is offline

Default OT - tits and string

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 17:27:11 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 16:12:23 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 16:21:19 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 15:08:14 +0100, Malcolm Race wrote:

On 25/04/2016 12:49, David wrote:
Noticed the other week that blue tits were stealing the ends of the garden
twine used to tie up the olive trees to canes.

Today we realised that all the free ends had been gathered and they were
starting on the knots.

So we have tied some sacrificial bits of string near the important bits in
the hope that they'll take those instead.

I can't remember string disappearing in previous years.

Cheers

Dave R

Nesting material.Over the last 2 or 3 years I have watched tits and
other small birds pulling fibres from my hanging basket liners.

Magpies do it to ours. We tried putting fibre out for them but they ignore it.

A few years ago magpies stole a lot of my coir doormat to build their
nest.

Parakeets have stripped the leaves off the tops of our chestnut trees this year.
In previous years they only ate the candles.

Two parakeets use to come to my garden for peanuts but they
disappeared a few years ago. They are considered to be a problem in
London but not here.

We like them, but I am not sure if the chestnut trees do. We have a couple of
jays that come for peanuts ATM.

Jays take the unshelled peanuts but leave the shelled ones for a
marauding gang of squirrels that get up later.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com