Old 26-04-2016, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default West-facing evergreen climber?

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 26/04/16 14:02, David wrote:

Here are 2 photos of a possible candidate which I found growing in a
small sunless courtyard in Provence in December (so it should be able
to survive in Shrewsbury, I think). The foliage looks quite hardy.
Can anyone identify it, please?

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview...en+climber.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview...en+climber.jpg

Neither picture will show for me.

They're both hidden from the public.

For a candidate I suggest Trachelospermum jasminoides/asiaticum, Stauntonia
hexaphylla (Shrewsbury may be a bit too cold), maybe Holboellia, or an
evergreen lonicera (depends how vigorous you want it to be!).

None of those are reliably hardy and evergreen in Cambridge. Indeed,
other than an ivy, there isn't any climber that is. If the wall is
moderately protected, however, they and several others might do.
I know none that are really suitable for such a small space, hoever.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.