Old 29-04-2016, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Clover in Pumpkin Patch

On 4/28/2016 7:36 PM, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:

I tilled the pumpkin patch the other day, an area roughly 40' X 25'. Next week, I'll be planting hills of pumpkins and squash about 6' apart, which leaves a lot of empty space that I'll be tilling to keep the weeds down until the vines start to run.

I had a crazy idea that I could plant clover in the bare areas among the hills, thinking that this could compete with the weeds, improve the soil, and be low enough that it wouldn't interfere with the vines when they run.

Has anyone ever heard of this, or tried something similar?

as long as you plant low growing clover and
keep it well watered it should be ok.

pumpkins have such large leaves that it grows
well over/among other things. the tradition
here is that it grows in corn fields.

songbird

When I was a boy my father always planted corn, then climbing beans,
then squash, all in the same spot. It was called the "Three Sisters,"
the beans climbed the corn, the squash shaded the roots for all of them.
Dad was half Choctaw, I suppose that planting came from his ancestors.
It worked pretty good in SE Texas.