Old 29-04-2016, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Moving grape vines

Terry Coombs wrote:

Someone in another group I read wants to move some 100 year old grape
vines . Any chance of success ? My understanding is that they root very
deeply , wondered if that would make it difficult to avoid transplant shock
.

depends upon what type of vines. if they are grafted
upon different root stock, etc.

how many vines?

if they are self-rooted (all the same plant with no
graft) then they would be much better off by taking
cuttings from 1yr wood and rooting those (similar to
how you'd do roses or many other woody stemmed plants).

songbird