Old 05-05-2016, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default lawnmower advice

On 04 May 2016, Stephen grunted:

My other grumble is no matter which
direction I go in, I always seem to get the cable in the way.

[...]

No doubt electric is the cheapest
to buy but what about that cable getting in he way! What is the trick
with that?

OK, you asked! Here's a bird's eye view of a hypothetical rectangular
lawn which takes 6 swathes with the electric mower to cut, as indicated
by the dashed rows. The mains socket or source of power is at the top
left of the diagram.

Start mowing by the socket (*) and head down the first swathe dragging
the cable behind you. At the end of the swathe, turn the mower
anticlockwise by 180 degrees, and return up the lawn down the second
swathe. You will be pushing the mower parallel to the cable which
you've left lying down swathe 1, and which you're now also dragging
directly behind you up swathe 2.

When you get to the top of swathe 2, you then turn CLOCKWISE by 180
degrees, and set off down swathe 3, etc etc.

The key to not tangling with the cable is always to cut *away* from the
plug socket, and always to turn the mower in the correct direction!

Mains
Socket
[X]
__________________________________