Old 07-05-2016, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Only one small drainage hole in a planter: "obstruct" with stones etc., or no?

David wrote:
I've bought some quite large terracotta planters in which to plant
some patio shrubs to form a hedging screen, but have found that each
planter comes with only one small hole in its bottom, and in this
hole there is a rubber plug. I feel that I must, without doubt,
remove the plug, to allow drainage in case excess rain-water falls on
the planter.

But, given that there is only one small hole, about the size of a 50
pence coin, should I just fill the planter with compost, so the
compost sits on the hole, and moisture has immediate and unobstructed
exit?

Or should I place stones or bits of broken crockery over the hole
first? It seems to me that placing solid items over the hole will
obstruct drainage.

I'm concerned about what to do because there's only one hole and it's
so small.

David.

It doesn't matter how small the hole is, and I think 50p size is quite
large, the pot will never become waterlogged for any length of time as water
always finds the lowest point, which will be through the drain hole.. Cover
it with anything that won't degrade, a piece of plastic with a hole in it,
or any kind of nylon mesh.