Old 08-05-2016, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Planting a 16ft Leylandi - HELP

On Sun, 8 May 2016 13:46:17 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , says...

J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

Brooklyn1 writes:

Dazzamancs wrote:

I have a very large garden and I have purchased a 16ft Leylandi
which is going to be 40 meter away from any building structure.
But I dont know how to plant it.

You are speaking of a totally valueless weed... makes a quick
growing hedge that doesn't live long and is susceptable to many
diseases. You'd have done much better buying a 2' tall seedling for
like $2... actually you'd have done far better not buying that weed
at all.

In real life, I find the tree attractive.

I can't picture a homeowner planting a 16ft tree.
There should be tractors involved in the process.

Wikipedia has some interesting comments about the
legal risks to having the tree:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leylan...#Legal_aspects

The plant's rapid growth (up to a metre per year) and great
potential height ? often over 20 metres (66 ft) tall, sometimes as
high as 35 metres (115 ft) ? can become a serious problem. In 2005
in the United Kingdom, an estimated 17,000 people were at
loggerheads over high hedges, which led to violence and in at
least one case murder, when in 2001, retired Environment Agency
officer Llandis Burdon, 57, was shot dead after an alleged dispute
over a leylandii hedge in Talybont-on-Usk, Powys.

Part VIII of the United Kingdom's Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003,
introduced in 2005, gave a way for people affected by high hedges
(usually, but not necessarily, of leylandii) to ask their local
authority to investigate complaints about the hedges, and gave the
authorities in England and Wales power to have the hedges reduced
in height. In May 2008, UK resident Christine Wright won a 24-year
legal battle to have her neighbour's leylandii trees cut down for
blocking sunlight to her garden.

I like Dawn Redwoods, Not an evergreen but looks like one in the
summer and nice bark, shape, grows fast.

Sounds like the British need to trim the size of their government down
to where it has enough to do without worrying about somebody's hedge.

So you think it's OK to grow a hedge that completely shades out your neighbor's
garden, and the neighbor should have no recourse?

If he can prove economic harm he has resource in the courts. If he
can't, he's welcome to move.

Or he can wait some time after you plant it and give it a few small
doses of defoliant until it wilts and dies. It's always best to get
along with neighbors, there are ways to compromise. Robert Frost
wrote "Good Fences Make Good Neighbors", however the obverse is "Good
Neighbors Make Good Fences".