Old 14-05-2016, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Screening plant

On 13/05/2016 18:00, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2016 11:39:45 -0500, "JIP" wrote:

Hi

I'm looking for ideas please for a plant to grow up against some
trellising that will give cover all year round.

In the Midlands.

The rear garden is south facing, and there is a gate in one corner at
the end. I have built a free standing trellis in front of the gate to
take the eye away from it.

I want to put something that will cover the trellis and hide the gate
all year round - but with a variety of colour, and perhaps some
flowering in the winter. That plant would be on the north face of the
trellis.

There is quite a lot of shade, but some sun at times during the day (on
the odd occasion that it shines!!).

Ideas gratefully accepted.

JP

You don't say how tall your trellis is, but if it's masking a gate, I
assume about 6ft. I hope it's well supported with posts set good and
deep, otherwise it will blow down, given a decent gale.

Clematis Armandii might be good choice. Evergreen, white flowers early
in the year, some perfume. http://tinyurl.com/j56th9e Or you could try
Winter Jasmine, http://tinyurl.com/j56th9e. More ideas in these links
http://tinyurl.com/z4todet

Not being rude but why expect one plant to be so wonderful? if there was
such a plant we would all be propagating it like mad, either reduce your
expectations or simply plant more that one thing to achieve all the
desired effects.
Ie good evergreen cover plus something to gropw through it to give some
flowers

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk