Old 15-05-2016, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default the morel of the story

On Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 9:41:03 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
I planted a morel bed a few weeks ago, using a kit I got from Amazon. I tried planting one several years ago but nothing ever came up. Hopefully, this one will grow.

that is why i used the scatter approach and put the
rinse water in a half dozen locations. never know what
really takes, and because of the variety of places we
get stuff from it could be coming in from those too and
not the rinse water.

I also inoculated some oak logs with mushroom spawn plugs. Those are on a shelf in the basement and I water them every morning.

did you start with green wood? that is the
recommendation i most often come across when it
comes down to growing mushrooms in wood from
known spawn.

Yes, we cut down six or seven trees every winter for firewood, so I save a few logs for the mushroom garden. I read that you should let them settle out for 30 days after cutting before putting in the plugs so that the natural fungicides in the wood are depleted.

The problem with mushroom gardening is that they grow underground or inside wood, so you don't know if there's really anything growing there or not. Potatoes grow underground, but at least they send up leaves to let you know they're still alive.

patience... it may take several years for the spores
to decide they have the right conditions for fruiting...

as of my recent readings it sounds like a mix of sand,
and some fireplace ashes topped by partially decayed
wood chips is good.

songbird

I mixed sand into the soil in the morel bed and put in some wood chips from a big pile out back.

Paul