Old 16-05-2016, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ermin Trude Ermin Trude is offline

Default Screening plant

On Mon, 16 May 2016 13:31:12 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2016 10:00:38 -0000 (UTC), (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Sun, 15 May 2016 11:46:40 -0500, "JIP" wrote:

You don't say how tall your trellis is, but if it's masking a gate,
I assume about 6ft. I hope it's well supported with posts set good
and deep, otherwise it will blow down, given a decent gale.

Clematis Armandii might be good choice. Evergreen, white flowers
early in the year, some perfume.
http://tinyurl.com/j56th9e Or you
could try Winter Jasmine, http://tinyurl.com/j56th9e. More ideas in
these links http://tinyurl.com/z4todet

Sorry, yes it's about 6 feet. The trellis has been there a long time
already and is well supported.

Clematis Armandii is ideal for that.

Unfortunately, it isn't even suitable. It is very vigorous, and loathes
being cut back hard, so has a very limited lifetime in constrained
locations. Also, depending on how exposed the place is to winter winds,
it might not be hardy enough - it doesn't like freezing winds at all.

What is you alternative suggestion?

I was waiting for your reply. It was what I expected. Ours has been cut
back every year and thrives. It is exposed to icy winds every winter. It
is almost ten years old now. My daughter has one in an exposed position
and an even colder climate.

Do you have direct experience of growing Clematis Armandii? Is it
another plant you couldn't grow in freezing Cambridge?

We have 2 growing in North Yorkshire. Both well over 17 years old. One
is on the South side and one on the North side. We are over 1000'ASL.
The one on the North side has now died after the mildest winter we have
had for some years. It will be replaced like for like. Both have had
heavy pruning back to brown wood over the years.