Old 16-05-2016, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Screening plant

In article ,
Ermin Trude wrote:
On Mon, 16 May 2016 13:31:12 +0200, Martin wrote:

Clematis Armandii is ideal for that.

Unfortunately, it isn't even suitable. It is very vigorous, and loathes
being cut back hard, so has a very limited lifetime in constrained
locations. Also, depending on how exposed the place is to winter winds,
it might not be hardy enough - it doesn't like freezing winds at all.

What is you alternative suggestion?

I wish I had one, because I have just such a requirement. I have grown
4-5 armandii, and have had to remove most because they got out of hand,
and eventually died back because I was pruning them too hard (i.e. to
stay in the space). The two I grew NOT against a wall both died after
a winter or two, and I know other people who have had exactly the same
experience (not just in Cambridge). I don't know exactly what the
conditions are that causes it, but freezing winds seem a part.

I grow Holboellia, Stauntonia, Lonicera henryi, Lonicera japonica,
Akebia quinata and have grown others, all of which are supposed to
be hardy and evergreen. None are the latter, except possibly the
L. henryi (I haven't had a hard winter since I planted it). The
Stauntonia and L. japonica heep their leaves, but only sort-of.

I am discounting Bignonia and Clematis cirrhosa, as I have never
grown those except against a wall.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.