Old 17-05-2016, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dan S. MacAbre[_2_] Dan S. MacAbre[_2_] is offline

Default Strangest thing you have done in the garden?

Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Tue, 17 May 2016 09:48:48 +0100, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:

Judith in England wrote:
What is the strangest thing you have done in the garden (not gardening necessarily)?

I once woke up in the middle of the garden in the middle of the night sitting at the
garden table. I was totally naked with cigar in one hand and cup of tea in the other.

Someone told me that urine can be used as a fertiliser, so I regularly
'applied' some to the same patch of lawn for a few weeks. I can state
that it made no difference at all.

Urine contains the breakdown products of proteins, mostly meat, in the
form of urea, CO(NH2)2, rich in nitrogen. In fact urea is sometimes
used as a source of nitrogen in fertilisers in place of ammonium
sulphate or nitrate. I would have expected you to see some benefit,
but perhaps you're a vegetarian?

When I was a child we had a bitch who always peed on the lawn. Her
urine was very strong and it burnt the grass, leaving brown circular
patches of dead grass up to 12 inches in diameter. But when the grass
eventually re-grew, it was much more vigorous than the surrounding
stuff, and we had bright green tufts everywhere.

:-) We still have a "memorial green lawn patch" from a dog who's
been dead two years. It's the lawn-spot closest to the back door,where
she peed every morning for twelve years as soon as the back door opened.

Janet.

Perhaps I should resume my, um, 'experiments'?